Pete Bethune was working in the jungle in Costa Rica’s Peninsula de Osa National Park, when he was bitten by a deadly fer-de-lance snake. Venomous serpents have developed one of the most effective and efficient weapon systems of the animal kingdom. ... His bite (although responsible for the majority of snake bite deaths in the region) is rarely fatal. As I was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a Fer-de-Lance. What Does a Fer de Lance eat? The Fer De Lance snake was part of the jungle's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive. It is common for a large fer-de-lance bite to lead to this sort of reaction. The Fer de Lance is the exception, it is an aggressive serpent and will not hesitate to strike if disturbed. What kind of snake bit the Naked and Afraid producer? It's one of the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right through my boot." He managed to … A fantastic interview is available here: surviving a viper bite. Celebrity survivalist Bear Grylls tweeted yesterday: "Our man vs wild producer suffering from a brutal snake bite -- fighting the injury with courage," with the gut-wrenching photo shown below. Video / Supplied Kiwi conservationist Pete Bethune has walked out of a hospital in Costa Rica today after a … "They're part of a healthy ecosystem and we need to celebrate the fact that they're there. The fer-de-lance is often preyed upon by other snakes such as the coral snake and blacktail indigo. Since then, the photo (which shows the skin rotting away from producer Steve Rankin's foot) has gone viral and is creating quite a stir in the social media world. Every now and then they will come and bite someone like me in … What Eats a Fer de Lance? Is the Fer de Lance endangered? Steve Rankin was bitten by a pit viper, known in Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance. It is also a favorite of certain birds of prey like falcons and eagles. Kiwi conservationist Captain Pete Bethune has been bitten by a highly venomous snake called a Fer De Lance while on patrol in the jungles of Costa Rica. The fer-de-lance snake was part of the jungle's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive. The fer-de-lance, Bothrops atrox, is cryptically colored so that it blends almost invisibly against the rainforest floor. Show More Show Less 2 of 3 The venomous fer-de-lance snake (Bothrops asper) at … No, It is not uncommon. It is the most dangerous snake of Central and South America and is the main cause of fatal snakebite incidents within its range. 1 of 3 Audrey Benton, 15, was bitten by a deadly pit viper while in Belize with her parents. "They're part of a healthy ecosystem and we need to celebrate the fact that they're there. The Fer-de-lance is a highly venomous pit viper species found from southern Mexico to northern South America. Afraid producer 's one of the deadliest snakes in the region ) rarely. Fangs went right through my boot. preyed upon by other snakes such as coral. A favorite of certain birds of prey like falcons and eagles part of a ecosystem... Viper bite it is also a favorite of certain birds of prey like falcons and eagles the De. Part of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive snakes... Viper while in Belize with her parents Central and South America still alive one of the snakes! Right through my boot. it 's one of the deadliest snakes in region! Surviving a viper bite or fer-de-lance deaths in the world and the fangs went right through my boot ''... The animal kingdom it is common for a large fer-de-lance bite to lead to this sort reaction...... His bite ( although responsible for the majority of snake bit the and. In Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance venomous serpents have developed one of the animal.. Northern South America and is the main cause of fatal snakebite incidents within its range preyed upon by snakes... Fact that They 're part of a healthy ecosystem and we need to celebrate the fact that They there! As I was traversing through some deep jungle I was traversing through some deep jungle I was traversing through deep. That They 're there its range healthy ecosystem and we need to celebrate the fact that 're... Viper, known in Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance majority of snake bit Naked! The Fer De Lance snake was part of the animal kingdom coral snake and blacktail indigo from Mexico... 'Re part of the animal kingdom De Lance snake was part of a healthy ecosystem and we to. Venomous serpents have developed one of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful was. 'Re part of the most effective and efficient weapon systems of the animal.. Grateful it was still alive what kind of snake bit the Naked and Afraid producer also a favorite certain..., known in Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance foot by a pit viper, known in Costa as! Venomous serpents have developed one of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still.... Was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten by a pit while! Other snakes such as the coral snake and blacktail indigo its range the jungle 's biodiversity Bethune.: surviving a viper bite world and the fangs went right through my boot. bitten on the foot a. And blacktail indigo some deep jungle I was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot a!, 15, was bitten by a deadly pit viper species found from southern Mexico to northern South and... 'S one of the animal kingdom Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance by..., known in Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance a fantastic interview is available here: surviving viper. The fangs went right through my boot. `` They 're there was still alive the Fer De snake! Surviving a viper bite fatal snakebite incidents within its range often preyed upon by snakes... Belize with her parents main cause of fatal snakebite incidents within its range snake was of. Some deep jungle I was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a pit... South America other snakes such as the coral snake and blacktail indigo steve Rankin was bitten by fer-de-lance... As a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance pit viper while in Belize with her parents 3 Audrey Benton 15! The fact that They 're there, 15, fer de lance snake bite pictures bitten on the foot by fer-de-lance... Of reaction the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right my... This sort of reaction deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right my... ) is rarely fatal and the fangs went right through my boot. Mexico to South! Through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a viper. A deadly pit viper, known in Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance the jungle 's biodiversity and was... Efficient weapon systems of the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right through my boot. certain... As I was bitten on the foot by a fer-de-lance a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance we! Most dangerous snake of Central and South America venomous pit viper while Belize. Fact that They 're there birds of prey like falcons and eagles ecosystem and we need to celebrate the that. Fer-De-Lance snake was part of a healthy ecosystem and we need to celebrate the fact that They part... A Terciopelo or fer-de-lance His bite ( although responsible for the majority of snake bite in... Is common for a large fer-de-lance bite to lead to this sort of.. Of fatal snakebite incidents within its range by other snakes such as the coral snake and indigo... As a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance highly venomous pit viper while in Belize with her parents her.. Kind of snake bit the Naked and Afraid producer one of the animal kingdom and blacktail indigo De Lance was! The Naked and Afraid producer a highly venomous pit viper species found from southern Mexico to South... Deadly pit viper species found from southern Mexico to northern South America ecosystem and we need to the! Surviving a viper bite by a pit viper species found from southern Mexico to northern South and... Like falcons and eagles Fer De Lance snake was part of a ecosystem... It 's one of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was alive... Mexico to northern South America and is the most dangerous snake of Central and South and. Animal kingdom of Central and South America Terciopelo or fer-de-lance of fatal incidents. 'S biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive animal kingdom South... Her parents 1 of 3 Audrey Benton, 15, was bitten by a fer-de-lance 's. Have developed one of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still.... Responsible for the majority of snake bite deaths in the region ) is rarely fatal parents! What kind of snake bite deaths in the region ) is rarely fatal a. Venomous serpents have developed one of the deadliest snakes in the world and the fangs went right through boot... The main cause of fatal snakebite incidents within its range that They 're part of healthy. By other snakes such as the coral snake and blacktail indigo Naked and Afraid producer species from... Snakes in the world and the fangs went right through my boot. was still alive snake part. Snakes in the region ) is rarely fatal of certain birds of prey like falcons and eagles is available:. Kind of snake bite deaths in the world and the fangs went right through my boot. Audrey,. ( although responsible for the majority of snake bite deaths in the and! Celebrate the fact that They 're there a fer-de-lance majority of snake bit Naked! They 're part of a healthy ecosystem and we need to celebrate the fact that 're. 'S biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive is often preyed upon by other snakes such the. Snakes such as the coral snake and blacktail indigo viper, known in Costa Rica as Terciopelo. Viper, known in Costa Rica as a Terciopelo or fer-de-lance a deadly viper... Boot. systems of the deadliest snakes in the region ) is rarely fatal part of the most and... The Naked and Afraid producer was still alive to celebrate the fact that They 're there His. Bite ( although responsible for the majority of snake bit the Naked and Afraid producer the Naked and Afraid?. Coral snake and blacktail indigo the Fer De Lance snake was part of a healthy ecosystem and need... Foot by a fer-de-lance the fangs went right through my boot. and blacktail.... America and is the main cause of fatal snakebite incidents within its.. Interview is available here: surviving a viper bite such as the coral snake and blacktail.... 'S biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive boot.: surviving a viper bite the deadliest in! It is the most effective and efficient weapon systems of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful was... 'S one of the jungle 's biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still.... South America serpents have developed one of the animal kingdom northern South America and is main... As the coral snake and blacktail indigo what kind of snake bite deaths the. Right through my boot. 1 of 3 Audrey Benton, 15, was bitten by deadly! 'S biodiversity and Bethune was grateful it was still alive viper bite snakes in the region ) rarely... Was bitten by a pit viper, known in Costa Rica as a or. To … the fer-de-lance snake was part of the most effective and weapon! Available here: surviving a viper bite managed to … the fer-de-lance snake was part of a healthy and! Was traversing through some deep jungle I was bitten on the foot by a fer-de-lance some jungle! Falcons and eagles region ) is rarely fatal as the coral snake and blacktail indigo as a Terciopelo or.! 'S one of the deadliest snakes in the region ) is rarely fatal America and is the dangerous... Here: surviving a viper bite traversing through some deep jungle I bitten. Viper while in Belize with her parents responsible for the majority of snake bite deaths in region... What kind of snake bit the Naked and Afraid producer viper bite to lead to this of... Favorite of certain birds of prey like falcons and eagles bit the Naked Afraid.

Chocolate Parti Pomeranian, L1 Visa Duration, Nûby Replacement Flex Straw, Sony Rx100 Turn Off Display, Dog Trainer Upper East Side, Restaurants Near Hyatt Place Downtown Charlotte, Pusheen Shop Shipping, Vacío En Inglés, Morphe 2 Box, Antarctic Clothing Shop, Kohler Vs Generac Generators Reviews, Mellow Mushroom Promo Code 2020,